Sunday, January 19, 2014

Quinoa Pancakes with Blueberry Compote

Mmm, pancakes...
Not sure why it took me so long to make quinoa pancakes because I have been cooking quinoa for five years now. Today was the day. I had four of these and they were incredible. 
I really enjoy pancakes, but often regret eating them later. Immediately I feel like I'm walking around with bricks in my stomach yet I am hungry a short time after eating them. I researched a lot of recipes last night and put a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Some recipes called for quinoa flour. I don't have the dry blade for my Vitamix, so I opted for the cooked quinoa version which happened to be the most common way way I found on the web the recipe was prepared. 


Here is my tweaked recipe:
3 cups cooked quinoa (which was 1 cup dried, none of the recipes gave me the conversion, so thanks Google. Never needed a specific cooked amt, so now I know).
3/4 c. almond milk
4 eggs
1 T of agave
1 t of vanilla
Pinch of salt
3 t baking powder
Cooking spray or oil for the pan
Yielded fourteen 5' pancakes

Put all ingredients in blender and blend for a few seconds. While your skillet heats up on medium high heat let the batter sit for a few minutes to let the mixture thicken up.
The quinoa tends to sink, so stir occasionally and before you poor a fresh batch of batter into skillet. Otherwise, you'll have some very thin pancakes in the beginning and really thick ones at the end. The pancakes bubble up similar to traditional pancakes. Flip when the edges are dry. The inside of the pancakes will be a wetter consistency than traditional pancakes and a lot hotter inside. Just a word of caution if you are serving kids. My daughter ate three and the baby ate one.

Blueberry Compote: I warmed up a cup of frozen blueberries with 1t of brown sugar and a few T of water over medium heat, covered and then let it simmer until the blueberries broke down a little but, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment