Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mac N' Cheese Cups

Homemade Mac N' Cheese is one of those foods I just can not say no to. I make enough to freeze a batch for those nights I have little ones distracting me (which is every night) from fixing ( fixing verb. preparing or cooking. I spent most of my life in the South. That's what we say down there) dinner. It takes no extra effort to make a big batch, so why not plan ahead.

Making one of my favorite comfort foods into a portion control serving has moved this once indulgence to the guilt-free category.  Additionally I add puréed butternut squash or sweet potato when I can.  I cook and purée the vegetables in advance, freeze in 2 ounce servings then use them whenever I want to add vegetables inconspicuously (or conspicuously) to dishes. I also use low fat cheese and skim milk.  It might not be as rich as versions that have the whole milk, but I am sensitive to milk and I do not need the extra fat. I would avoid using almond milk, even the unflavored kind. It just makes the dish too sweet and in my opinion inedible. I have had success with lactose-free milk.  You can use gluten-free pasta or spaghetti squash too, they have all worked great.  Hope you enjoy it. 



Served with my Turkey Chili making it Chili Mac

This recipe made a dozen Mac N' Cheese Cups & and one rectangle casserole dish that I froze for another time. Simply reduce in half if you do not want to freeze ahead (but why wouldn't you).

Tina's Mac N' Cheese Cups

1 lb. elbow macaroni 
1 stick of butter
4 c. skim milk
1/4 c. pureed butternut squash, frozen or fresh (optional)
4 c. shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 T dijon mustard
1 t. paprika
1 T adobo
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. white pepper
2/3 c. seasoned panko- I buy plain panko in bulk. Season with salt, pepper and dried parsley.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Generously spray muffin tins (and spray some more) and casserole dish with cooking spray. Put aside. 

Boil macaroni in salted water. While the macaroni cooks, make the cheese sauce. 

Cheese Sauce- start by making a roux. Melt a stick of butter on medium heat in a large sauté pan (I use 12" pan). Slowly add flour and mix. Once a paste starts to form slowly add milk and stir the milk until it starts to thicken. Add the cheese and all the other ingredients except the panko, stirring continuously to avoid burning. 



When the cheese is melted and a nice sauce is made, turn off the heat and immediately add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce. 



Use a ladle to fill muffin tins. Top macaroni with seasoned panko and cook for 35-40 minutes. You want the edges of the cups to turn golden brown. 

Remove from oven and let the cups cool and continue to set. Use a smooth knife along the edges to help loosen the cups. Put cups on a parchment lined cookie sheet and put back in warm oven for a few minutes to reheat, if you want to eat them now. If not, flash freeze the cups to use later.

Sanity Saver:

Flash freeze by freezing individual cups on a lined cookie sheet, uncovered for about 30 minutes until the cups are firm and partially frozen. Wrap in wax paper and put in a freezer bag. Take the cups out when needed and reheat on parchment lined cookie sheet. Flash freezing prevents servings from sticking together.








No comments:

Post a Comment