Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Prego's favorite summer drink

Hello Cyberspace Friends! Welcome to my blog...
Congratulations to me and the third trimester. I am loving life, well loving it as much as one woman can despite feeling like a Vienna sausage stuffed in a too tight tank top (I am protesting maternity clothes).
It has been one hot, hot summer so far in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.  Mother Nature has certainly been on the rampage the last year, from a frigid winter of historic proportions now to a summer heat wave. 
It will be in the triple digits all week in Virginia.  It was a hot one today and close to100 degrees when I was writing this before heading to bed.
I wanted to share a great drink for other mommies-to-be,  healthier than sugary sports drinks (I love Gatorade, went to University of Florida and would never ever knock anything associated with the Gators).
My latest beverage addiction that is really good for you this time of year, coconut water.  It sounds strange, but coconut water is one of the best things to drink to keep yourself hydrated.
I drink Vita Coco brand and found it at Wegman's grocery store http://www.vitacoco.com/.  The flavor is really unlike anything I have tasted.  It is mild and refreshing.  I prefer the slightly sweatened flavor, mango peach to the plain coconut water.  I like the Vita Coco container, it has a cap so you open, refrigerate and then reuse.  The website does say to drink it within 24 hours of opening.
Hope you are keeping yourself cool this summer.

Here are some interesting facts I found online:

  • Coconut Water is more nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol.
  • Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories.
  • Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk - It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk.
  • Coconut water is naturally sterile - Water permeates though the filtering husk.
  • Coconut water is a universal donor - Its identical to human blood plasma.
  • Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
  • Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment